Monday, July 20, 2015

The High Priestess, A Chance Encounter and A Hot Starbucks Window Seat



Good afternoon Witches!

I sit here in a crowded Starbucks on the hottest Monday afternoon ever and I have no other option but to sit at the window... with the sun beating in. Normally I would be extremely excited to sit in the sun, I am a child of nature… but it is so hot. Seriously…SO HOT.

This week I have been researching card number 2 of the Tarot, The High Priestess. If you are reading this, please do me a favor… If you have a Tarot deck, pull it out and take a good long look at the High Priestess card. Take a few minutes to meditate with her; really listen to what she has to say.  She is a wealth of knowledge and the best way to connect with her is to be with her in her world. What do you notice about this card that is different from the first two cards we have encountered?  What does your intuition tell you about this card and the images within it?


As with all of the twos in the Tarot, the High Priestess makes me first think of duplicity; the need to see life from different perspectives and the magickal feminine power of reproduction... but not only that. The Popess, as she is sometimes called, is the first woman to show up on our journey, and thank Goddess she is! She embodies women's power and intuition like nobody's business.

The first thing I notice when looking at the different High Priestesses in my Tarot collection, is that in almost all of them she is shrouded. Shrouded in mystery? Probably... she looks awfully mysterious. She is also the first to be seated. To me, this means she is rooted grounded.  This woman isn’t going anywhere.  She knows her place and this is it.  She has neither need nor desire to be anywhere else.


I have a couple of quotes I want to share with you that I found in my studies this week. The first one comes from the book Jung and Tarot- An Archetypal Journey by Sallie Nichols and I think this is a good time to share it. Sallie has a very unique, brilliant approach to the Tarot.  She has taught me so much in the last week just by reading this one little section of her book. In this quote, Sallie has stepped into the High Priestess card and is conversing with the High Priestess herself, asking her questions almost interrogation style, and the answers she gets are incredible.

 
 
 
 
 
"'Lady Popess, many women today feel that you should be Tarot number one. Do you agree with them?'...
'Mercy no!... There are lots of things they don't understand about our wicked, wily, wonderful number two! Yes, I'm quite contented with woman's place.'"
~Sallie Nichols Jung and Tarot- An Archetypal Journey

 

The moon, a symbol of femininity, power and intuition, makes an appearance more often than not on the High Priestess cards that I possess, and a couple of my cards show an owl or some other symbol of knowledge and wisdom.  Think about it… Mystery and knowledge… INTUITION!  If there is one word that sums up the High Priestess card for me, it is intuition. 

I love and adore Kelly Ann Maddox and I watch her YouTube channel like it’s going out of style.  I believe it was she who commented on the possibility of the High Priestess card, Roman numeral II, could correspond with the death card being the 11th card in the major arcana.  This is something I am really going to have to chew on… and something that I find absolutely intoxicating about the art of Tarot.  There are so many ways of reading the cards, many of which I can’t even fathom this soon in my Tarot journey!
I am obsessed, enamored, infatuated by Tarot. I have never had anything that I was really passionate about in life, and Tarot dropped in right when I needed it.  It opened doors I never thought I would go through confidently and I am striding my ass through them every day without a second thought!  With Tarot, I have and continue to manifest my own destiny.  The journey has only just begun and I feel like I have stripped myself of my old skin and I am a new woman. 

Yesterday, as I was strolling down our lane to try to make my daily step goal, I came across a very large black snake.  She was so majestic and sleek that it took me so by surprise that my breath caught in my throat and for a moment I couldn’t move.  We were both seemingly frozen in time, staring into each other’s eyes.  We shared a magickal moment, the snake and I.   I have never been a huge reptile fan so for me not to be freaked out of my gourd was strange, but not only was I not afraid, I was so excited that I ran back to the house to get my husband and my son.  Alas, when I returned to show off my new-found friend, she was nowhere to be found.  I am sure I will see her again; however, I am not sure that either of us was on this plane when we met on Peppermint Lane.  That elegant snake was, to me, a symbol of the High Priestess manifesting herself in my life.

“…for an even number, two is a little odd, don’t you think?

I mean, two is fat and substantial like a pot,

yet it is also kind of curly and elusive,

like a snake…”

~Sallie Nichols Jung and Tarot- An Archetypal Journey

 

I sincerely hope that anyone following this blog is getting as much out of my studies as I am.  Please feel free to share and comment!  I would welcome any constructive criticism as well as any of your views on the cards. Until next time Witches…

 

BLESSINGS to you all!!

~Jonquil
 



No comments:

Post a Comment